6/14/09

Safety Thoughts

My husband and I have been having some serious discussions of safety issues in our life, and when it comes to our greatest blessings (our children) there are no steps too extreme to take to better ensure their safety, and the safety of our family unit.

So on that note, I am going to change my blog settings to only allow invited readers to read my posts. I know most of my readers are close friends and family. If anyone out there would like to be invited so that they can read my posts, please send me an email, and I will add you to my list. My email is (no spaces) hlp 4 ever @ live . com

I will change the settings in a few days.

Last week, in our very safe neighborhood, a pregnant woman was killed by a psycho-woman, who apparently beat her over the head and then cut her baby out of her womb. She had to call 911 because the baby wasn't breathing, and the police found the real mother's body in a crawl space of the house.

They said the two women met over Craigslist freebie ads, where the psycho woman lured the other lady to her home by advertising free baby clothes. This didn't happen in northeast Vegas, or downtown Detroit. It happened here, in this safe town I live in.

It disturbs me even more because I have responded to every single free baby ad on Craigslist in the last two months. Over the years, I have really done well keeping my eyes on the Craigslist freebies ads, and you get a little careless with safety issues when it comes to something like this.

About two weeks before this horrendous crime occurred, I responded to a free infant carseat ad, and the woman was very vague and asked weird questions, such as asking repeatedly how many people would I be bringing with me, and other questions that just sent off warning bells and red flags in my mind. So I emailed her back that it didn't sound right and to forget the whole thing. I never heard back from her. I wonder if it could have been the same person. It was in the exact neighborhood where the poor pregnant lady was murdered.

It is hard to get this story off my mind, and I know there are many other freaky people out there. We have decided to put a lot more effort into caution.

3 comments:

Charisse said...

Hello Hannah,
this indeed is extremely frightening. I am very sorry this happened in your area. I am sorry this happened at all. I feel for the poor pregnant lady. That is a scary situation and I completely understand you taking more precautions. I would love to be able to still read your blog.
Lots of love,
Charisse

Jennifer said...

Very sad indeed. I would say not to give up on the freebie Craislist things altogether though, just be extra safe. Like meet in a public place and take Paul with you. There truly are more good than bad people out there, just the bad ones get all the publicity!

Sheree said...

Wow, Hannah. That is unbelievably scary. I'm so thankful that you didn't take any chances! I imagine this plagues you in the middle of the night when all is quiet and the baby won't let you sleep. I'll pray for you!