3/25/09

Screams of Horror in the Night

We had a lovely bedtime story from a Children's Book of Faith that I picked up second hand at the library book store. Today's story was Daniel and the Lions Den. We talked about faith and what it means, what it's like to have faith. Then they prayed, kisses for all, and I said goodnight.

We leave the closet light on until they fall asleep, and then turn it off.

No sooner had I come downstairs and sat down, the electricity went off. It was pitch black! Max and Anastasia started screaming. Not just piddly little 'mommy-I-need-you-now' screams, but screams of bloody horror. I tried to yell upstairs that I was going to find a flashlight and candle and would be right there, but I could not be heard over their constant screams. It's a wonder the neighbors didn't call the police. They screamed over and over, louder and louder for around 15 seconds. Not long enough for me to find a light and get to them, but it sure seemed like an eternity.

The electricity quickly came back on, and I gave Max my cell phone to keep by his bed so he could have light at the touch of a button if it happened again, and a flashlight to Alexandra to light up the room for them. Thankfully, it has not gone off again.

We had another talk about faith! God will take care of them in the dark as well as the light, so maybe God was adding to our evening character-molding lesson? It was mind-boggling to me. I am very amused, yet a little unsettled that they could go to pieces like that.

So I wanted to blog about it to release some stress! God blessed my children with healthy lungs!!! My ears are still ringing, and I wasn't even on the same floor as they were. No chance of me getting sleepy anytime soon. I'm totally wired with pulse still pounding. I love my funny French Fries!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, so scary for kiddos. There is a veggie tales move, I think it's called, Where Are You When I'm Scared, but not sure, but scared is in the title somewhere. It is totally about being scared in the dark, and has cute songs.

Charisse said...

Having the lights suddenly turn off is very frightening for children! I think your talk about faith was awesome...yes, God takes care of us in the dark and in the light! Good on ya!
Love Charisse