8/31/08

Ponderings

Anastasia blowing bubbles.



Kids busy doing what they do more than anything else....play dress up.

Things that make me smile:

1. A band aid covered a shaving nick on my leg, and Natalie (19 months) kissed it to make it better.

2. Anastasia (3), for the first time in her life, actually did what I asked her to the first time, which was move the chairs back to the kitchen table. Unfortunately, she moved the first chair at the exact same time Paul was in the process of sitting down on it. So he sat down in the floor instead. He was unhappy for about two and a half seconds. This is a big deal, because he never shows irritation or displeasure. He is the kindest, most patient and loving father I've ever seen. But two and a half seconds was enough to break Anastasia's heart. She was very upset she had hurt her daddy and cried a good 20 minutes about the whole thing.

3. Alexandra (8) and Maximillian (6) are best friends. They have even started sleeping together in Alexandra's twin bunk. It is so sweet to see them both sound asleep, cuddled up together. I hope they will always be close friends, and never bicker like siblings often seem to do.

4. We pray before a meal, and no one ever wants to be left out. So every meal has to have four prayers. Even Natalie, who can only say "amen" has to be a part of it. It is very cute. Especially when Anastasia gets annoyed because Max will start praying first. She starts out sweetly saying, "Thank you, Jesus, for this food, in Jesus' name, Amen. MOMMY!!!! I WANTED TO GO FIRST!!!!!!!" I think they miss the point much of the time. :)

5. Anastasia is a total morning person. She is always the first to wake up, and literally does so singing. I always hear her laying there singing songs even before she crawls out of bed. She sure did not get that from me, but it is cute to see her so perky in the early morning.

6. Natalie is slow to learn words, and at 19 months, only knows a small handful that she can properly pronounce. But for some reason, she has started hissing to fill in all the gaps. So everywhere she goes, she hisses. I hear her coming down the stairs, "SSssssss. Sssssssssssssssssss. Sssssssssssssssss, mama." It sounds like our home is infested with snakes.

Things that exasperate me:

1. Why four little people washing one pair of hands each results in a flooded bathroom floor and a completely saturated towel on a regular basis.

2. Why being naked is so much more fun than wearing clothes. (to a 19 month old)

3. How one room can go from neat and tidy to disastrous in the small amount of time it takes me to fold laundry in another room.

4. How after eating two and a half bowls of pasta, that same pasta becomes gross and unbearable with the realization there were mushrooms in it.

5. Why every blanket must be unfolded, every drawer must be emptied, the dirty clothes hamper must be relieved of its contents, each towel has to be pulled off the shelf, and all washcloths must go in the garbage can. Again, Natalie, the 19 month old.

6. There are apparently 989 different ways one toddler can find to reach the top of a bunk bed or dresser.

7. Why an intelligent, mature man cannot understand why I am hot and he is cold when he sits at his desk all day, and I move about washing dishes (by hand), changing diapers, doing laundry, climbing stairs, making beds, cooking, cleaning, etc.... Hello. I am moving about. He is sitting still. Why is this scientific phenomenon so difficult to understand?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Gwenny is just like Natalie! I swear she can get into stuff faster than any kid I have ever seen! Oh, and if she isn't wearing clothes over her diaper that she cannot take off herself she is always naked too, they must be kindred spirits.

Charisse said...

Ha! Hello again....it is Charisse. I am much excited that you signed my blog.
Kids are SO funny..... our grace is exactly the same, "Thank you Jesus for this food, Amen!". Isaac, my 5 year old says it really loud and if we don't say it the right speed with him...whether it is slow or fast, we all have to repeat it together again. SO sweet. I posted some photos of my little on my blog if you would like to see him!
Bless you heaps!
Love Charisse