6/3/09

Summer Begins

I can't believe summer is here! Ok, well, not officially until later this month, but the weather says it's here.

I am ready to have a baby. Really. My body is trying to get started. Painful irregular contractions and even a leaky milk supply has set in. I just hope and pray I don't have another month of this. I am ready, though it's officially three weeks early.

Last week we made an impromptu trip to a park with water fountains for the kids to play in. Max is not a water person. He wants to have fun, but once he gets totally wet, he just can't see the fun in it. He spent most of the time sunning in the grass.
Natalie promtply got soaked, and then stood by me a long time trying to figure out why. She wanted dry clothes, and she kept shaking her head that no, she was not having fun, even though big sister insisted she was.

On Memorial Day, we packed snacks and headed up to one of our favorite little quiet spots on a mountain, just a half hour or less away. We know it's always cooler there, but when it's toasty at home, it's just hard to truly believe it's cold up there. But it was! We shivered through our little snack picnic.


Here the girls are playing the Money Maze game, a penny-counting maze/challenge/board game that Paul invented. You can always tell when it's time for the girls to get new glasses. They spend more and more time without them because both pairs are stretched and scratched. Thankfully, insurance should cover new ones next month.

Alexandra is such a good big sister. She voluntarily gives rides on her scooter to Natalie, always guarding her so that she doesn't fall and get hurt.

One afternoon we made towers and sculptures with toothpicks and marshmallows. I was amazed at how sticky you can get from this activity. And amazed at how fast a bag of marshmallows can disappear.


The kids will be starting Vacation Bible School weeks soon. They get somewhat bored and need me to spend more time with them, and/or prepare lessons to keep them occupied. But I am in full baby mode now. I can't really think about anything else, and my energy is low. I hope for their sake too that baby makes an early entrance. I miss having the energy to do things with them. I can tell I will have lots of baby help.
Between Craigslist and Freecycle, I went from having nothing for baby to being completely prepared, and we only spent $15! But if it's a girl, I will need a few more clothes. I've been given tons of boy things.
My awesome midwife Jesica is predicting a 10 lb, 2 oz baby. I still feel I'm not as big as I was with Natalie, but if I go another month, that could certainly change. The pain of birth is not much different for an eight pounder or an eleven pounder, but the month leading up to it is much more uncomfortable when you are carrying several extra baby pounds.

No comments: