10/10/08

Pumpkin Decoupaging






Pumpkins, tiny tissue paper squares, watery glue, paint brushes. It just didn't seem like a messy project. I guess when you add four kiddos, two of which are three and 21 months, it becomes a VERY messy project. But fun memory making anyway. I wonder if I will remember the fun parts or the mopping, scrubbing, and un-decoupaging the table moments? The instructions just said 'watered down glue'. I figured if exact measurements of glue and water were important, they would have said so. But I was wrong. Because as soon as the pumpkins dried, half the tissues papers peeled off.

Then Anastasia helped me make cookies. She did all the work. She pulled the dough out of the package and broke apart each and every cookie and lined them all up on the cookie sheet. My favorite way to make 'homemade' cookies.

Because Natalie is having teething problems that make for restless sleeping, I did not get much rest and decided to take a quick nap with the little ones. I should have set the alarm, because we all slept two and a half hours. Which is fine for me, but meant the little ones would not be able to fall alseep until way past their bed time.

So at 8pm, we all loaded the van and drove to the Bellagio to see the fountains and view their conservatory. They change the display seasonally, and we hadn't seen the fall displays yet. They were gorgeous!!! They always blow me away with their detail and the thought of how many thousands of dollars they spent but keep it free to the public. They had around 10 or so trees, each around 15 feet tall. They looked real, like a tree in early spring or late fall, with just a few leaves, but each tree was a waterfountain/waterfall. Water was pouring out of every leaf. It was really beautiful, like nothing I have ever seen. I could not get a good picture.

There was a 10 foot tall scarecrow, giant venus fly traps, and a gazillion pumpkins and gourds. I want to go back. If I miss fall, that's certainly the place to go.

Anastasia woke up before anyone else and went outside to play. And locked herself in the back yard. Alexandra saw shadows moving in the back and frantically woke me up to claim robbers were outside. It was one of those mommy moments where you know you should exercise some discpline measures, but she was so upset and freaked out from being locked outside for who knows how long, I just gave a warning. And hugged her. And that is the only reason I am awake and blogging when I otherwise could have been getting more sleep.
We are leaving shortly to go to a new homeschool science class. It's about the solar system, and I'm excited! I've been waiting for the kids to get interested in this subject. It will be an actual classroom experience for Max and Alexandra, and they are so excited about bringing their backpacks and took great care packing their pencils, crayons and notebooks. Funny.



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

They did a good job on the punkins! I just bought those same cookies, like an hour ago! To be fair, I have made cookies from scratch before and they never taste as good as the ready made dough. Glad you have a fenced in back yard, cause you could have been on the news, yikes!

Charisse said...

Wow, you guys have been busy! The kids did a good job at the cooking and stuff!
I hope they enjoy their science lesson. It is so exciting that they are excited!
Love Charisse